This week’s challenge is focused on Level of Detail (LOD) calculations. We could probably build this chart using Table Calculations, but we’re not going to. Deliberate practice with some basic LODs. This also can be the basis for some cohort analysis, aligning various groups from different time periods on the same starting point.
And since Albert Pujols is making a historic climb toward 700 career home runs, baseball data is back this week!
- Dashboard Size: 1100 x 700px
- 1 sheet
- No Table Calcs!
- Create a line chart that displays a player’s Career HR by the number of days since their 1st MLB home run
- Add labels to the end of each line with the player name and their total Career HR
- Place a circle/dot on each player’s highest Season HR total
- Match tooltips and formatting (Pujols #c41e3a, others #d3d3d3)
- Create a parameter allowing user to select which player to highlight
- Add the team color palette below to your Preferences.tps file (in My Tableau Repository) and assign it to the list of players (colors are in alphabetical player order).
- If a player is selected, their line should be their team color, and all others should be gray (#d3d3d3)
- (Try to do this without manually setting each color, that would be a lot of clicking!)
<color-palette name="MLB HR Top10" type="regular">
<color>#C41E3A</color><!-- Albert Pujols -->
<color>#0C2340</color><!-- Alex Rodriguez -->
<color>#0C2340</color><!-- Babe Ruth -->
<color>#FD5A1E</color><!-- Barry Bonds -->
<color>#C6011F</color><!-- Frank Robinson -->
<color>#13274F</color><!-- Hank Aaron -->
<color>#E50022</color><!-- Jim Thome -->
<color>#005C5C</color><!-- Ken Griffey, Jr -->
<color>#0E3386</color><!-- Sammy Sosa -->
<color>#FD5A1E</color><!-- Willie Mays -->
This week uses a custom data set of each home run hit by the Top 10 career home run leaders in Major League Baseball. You can find it here on Data.World
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2022 in your description to make it searchable!