This year we’ve made a commitment to start with the basics and build, so this challenge is designed to do just that.
This week, you’ll be constructing a Customer Lifetime Value Matrix (CLTV). This viz is frequently used in marketing and retail industries to understand the value of each customer. Specifically, the interesting insights come when you scan vertically and see that your initiatives are paying off and customers of the same relative age are spending more money.
I’ll admit the Superstore data is a little sparse, so I added some extra calculations to fill in matrix gaps. So that said, you are free to build the initial matrix and have gaps OR you can do extra credit and fill in those gaps.
- Dashboard Size: 1400px by 1000 px
- # of Sheets – up to you
- Create a Customer Lifetime Value Matrix
- Each customer is categorized by their acquisition quarter (first quarter of purchase)
- Calculate the Average Lifetime Value of the Customer for # of Quarters since birth (defined as total sales/total customers)
- Match tooltips and formatting
- Color legend is Color Brewer Purple/Blue/Green available here
- Make sure that there is a white background for any marks with no CLV showing
- Advanced/Extra Credit
- Fill in the gaps for both Q2 2019, and Q3 2018
This week uses the superstore dataset for Tableau 2019.4. You can get it here at data.world
This data set ends on 12/31/2019, so you’re free to use a different version if available.
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2021 in your description to make it searchable!