Getting a little bit tricky this week, mostly because I won’t be at TC this year….. 🙁
This week we are going to do some radial mapping in Tableau. While extensions might replace this trick, I think it’s still useful when analyzing locations within N miles of a target location.
- This is a tricky one, so the first thing you want to do is get all the Lats/Longs for City/State from SuperStore and create a new dataset with it. You need to be able to use the Lats/Longs in calcs, and we can’t use generated lat/longs at the moment.
- Create a Parameter for City/State
- Create a Parameter to set the number of miles
- Create a Map of Sales for City/State sized by Sales
- Draw a Radial Circle around the selected location that has a radius equal to the Miles Parameter.
- The Map should be filtered down to only show locations within the Radial Circle
- This does require some data modelling…if you get stuck, check out my blog post on radial mapping.http://www.datatableauandme.com/2017/12/radial-mapping-in-tableau.html
This week uses the superstore dataset for Tableau 2018.1. You can get it here at data.world