During week 42’s community month challenge brought to us by Thys van der Westhuizen – Thys built on my week 37 challenge – My First Deneb. For that week’s challenge I built out three basic bar charts using Deneb visuals, and subsequently, Thys continued to build a few more amazing visuals in his challenge. This week we are building upon both of those challenges and creating even more fun Deneb visuals!
Using the template that Thys built out, we are going to build three line charts. The first line chart is your most basic line chart. The second line chart is going to layer on dots to indicate each year in the data, and then our last chart will be a line chart with the dots as well as data labels on the dots. Check out the example below!
- Continue from the other challenges (W36 or W42) – or download here.
- Using the same formatting as before, create three new charts
- #7 Basic Line Chart – show margin by year
- #8 Line Chart with Circles – show margin by year, but each year also needs a dot
- #9 Line Chart with Circles and Data Labels – show margin by year with dots as well as the data corresponding data labels with each point
- Chart #7 Basic Line Chart
- Ensure that the strokeWidth is 2
- Color is #5c5c5c
- Margin axis is formatted properly
- Year axis labels are horizontal and not vertical
- Chart #8 Line Chart with Circles
- Same formatting as above
- Include circle marks on each point
- Circle size as 80, opacity 1, color is 5c5c5c
- Chart #9 Line Chart with Circles and Data Labels
- Same formatting as the other two charts
- Add text marks for each circle
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2022 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd, @KerryKolosko, and @NerdyWithData. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.