Have you ever wondered what’s in that fancy coffee drink you ordered? Me too! Let’s take a look using an infographic in Power BI.
In this week’s Workout Wednesday we will be creating an infographic using the PureViz custom visual. I had loads of fun creating this and cannot wait to see what you all are able to do with this visual!
- Get data from the web and Excel to obtain the list of drinks, their descriptions, and their ingredients
- Create a relationship between your two tables (using the column containing the drink name)
- Use Microsoft Power Point (or your fancy design tool of choice) to create an svg image of a coffee cup
- the coffee cup svg should contain 4 equal, horizontal parts
- if this part sounds stressful, download my sample svg
- Import the PureViz Infographic custom visual into your Power BI report
- add your svg to the visual (additional instructions can be found in the PureViz documentation)
- Create measures for:
- The text for each ingredient (Ingredient Name)
- The color for each ingredient (Ingredient Color)
- You will have 8 measures total that need to be in the data fields of your custom visual
- Assign each section of your svg to a measure
- I assumed the bottom 1/4th of the svg was ingredient 1, and worked up from there
- Add a tooltip on hover to each of the 4 sections to display the ingredient names
- If you’re feeling fancy, add some subtle animation to the color fill of each section and/or the little steam waves!
- Add a slicer – I used the Chiclet Slicer custom visual
- Add a title
Voila! This custom visual has so much potential for creative solutions!
If you find yourself stuck, take a look at the samples posted on the PureViz site – they’re very helpful!
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2021 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd and @dataveld. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.