We’re in week 3 of Community Contributor Month. This week’s challenge is brought to us by Jeffrey Shaffer. Jeffrey is a 4 time Tableau Zen Master, co-author of The Big Book of Dashboards, and maintains several websites (including must-bookmark TableauReferenceGuide.com).
So where did the challenge come from? Here it is in Jeff’s own words:
This Workout Wednesday comes from a real-world example where we wanted to show the top N dimensions within another dimension. This could be done on multiple worksheets, but building this on a single worksheet was more efficient.
The dataset this week is the Superstore data and we will be showing the Top N Manufacturers by Region. The Manufacturers showing in the Top N will be different from Region to Region, but the “Other” category of Manufacturer is the most frequent. Therefore, we will give the user the ability to turn on/off the “Other” category of Manufacturer and enter how many N to show in the Top N. All of this should be done on a single worksheet.
- Single Worksheet
- Create a bar chart showing:
- Quantity by Top N Manufacturers by Region – note that the top N are different from region to region.
- Format the bar charts as close as possible.
- Show Quantity in descending order.
- Right-align the Manufacturer name
- Show the Quantity label on the bar and remove x-axis labels.
- Show a single line for the y-axis without any other lines.
- Color the Manufacturers, the bars and the labels by Region (ex. Nuriel Stone).
- Remove Tooltip
- Use a parameter to control for N in the Top N.
- Use a parameter to include/exclude the ‘Other’ category.
- Use the Top N value in the title.
- Highlight the Manufacturer name on hover.
- Include the rank with the Manufacturer name on hover.
This week uses the superstore dataset for Tableau 2019.1+. You can get it here at data.world
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration.