I hope everyone enjoyed Community Month! I’m excited to be back and to share a fun challenge that highlights using pie charts (puns a plenty today!).
This challenge is based on a request from a sales team – they wanted to understand how individual accounts contributed to their overall revenue. The beauty of this is 3 fold: they get the comfort of a pie chart, there’s interactivity and customization to define a top N, and there’s also a highlight table (heavily inspired by Bridget Cogley) for those who are pie-chart adverse.
There are many details in this challenge, so while it may look easy, don’t overlook the smaller parts that contribute to the whole. 😉
- Dashboard Size: 1400px by 900 px
- # of Sheets – up to you
- Create a pie chart showing the proportion of sales by sub-category and the proportion of total for the Top N selected by the end user
- Build a highlight table that groups together and sorts based on the Top N
- Construct interactivity to highlight the Top N and non-Top N in both the pie chart and the highlight table
- Match tooltips and formatting, pay particular attention to: mark labels, headers, and tooltips (color palette is Hue Circle, with Sub-Categories pre-sorted by Sales in descending order)
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2021 in your description to make it searchable!