Why wait for 2019 when I can start challenging you all right now? I’m not quite ready to jump off the set action hype train yet, and this challenge is setup to help you think about some different ux/ui capabilities that set actions can enable. I don’t anticipate this being the most difficult challenge you’ve faced… so grab a drink, sit down, and let’s get to work.
NOTE: I disabled download on the workbook on Tableau Public to force you to think through the solution. Yes, I know it’s mean, but you’ll learn more this way. I’ll turn on downloading toward the end of the week.
- Dashboard size: 900 x 700
- Use no more than 3 sheets
- Match text formatting and colors (doesn’t have to be exactly the same)
- Give every object some room to breath from the edges of the dashboard… 25px sounds about right
- Summary numbers and highlights should line up perfectly; only separated by the borders of the highlights
- Try and use set actions to match the functionality
- Do not display headers for the summary number section
- Add context to the summary numbers in the leftmost cell only
- Make sure the word UNITS appears next to the nearest 500 of the highest point on the line
- Show labels for matching months on hover… if you hover over June 2018, we should see labels for all of the June points
- Match line/area chart look and feel
Data from this week comes from the Saved Data Source in Tableau 2018 (Sample – Superstore), download here if needed.
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WorkoutWednesday2018 and tag @VizWizBI, @AnnUJackson, @LukeStanke, @RodyZakovich, @lorna_eden, and @curtisharris_.
TRACK YOUR PROGRESS
Also, don’t forget to track your progress using this Workout Wednesday form.