This week’s workout is designed for the end user looking for immediate insight – think of an executive stakeholder or someone more drawn to quickly getting numbers and results. These folks don’t necessarily have the time to look deeper into the details, but are still craving data in context.
To satisfy their requests you’ll be creating a small multiples dashboard that highlights different combinations of dimensions based on what the user selects. It also has strategically placed labels that give the most pertinent information – total sales for the chart shown and the most recent monthly measurement.
- Dashboard size: 1200 x 900
- Create small multiples showing monthly sales from 2017 & 2018 by Category and Region
- Create color highlight to meet these 6 conditions
- Highlight top category per region (by sales)
- Highlight bottom category per region
- Highlight top & bottom category per region
- Highlight top region + category combination
- Highlight bottom region + category combination
- Create a label that shows the Total Sales in the top middle of each small multiple
- Create a label that shows the most recent sales in the lower right of each small multiple
- Create a dynamic title that changes based on the highlight chosen
- Match tooltips and interactivity – mark type matters!
- Match all formatting
Data from this week comes from the Saved Data Source in Tableau 2018 (Sample – Superstore), download here if needed.
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WorkoutWednesday and tag @AnnUJackson, @LukeStanke, and @RodyZakovich. (Tag @VizWizBI if you have space, he would love to see your work too!)
Also, don’t forget to track your progress using this Workout Wednesday form.