This week’s workout comes from a recent conversation I had. The goal was to figure out the best periods of sales (whether that was best days, best weeks, or best months) and to understand more context around those dates. Was the increase in sales driven by holidays or other external events, or perhaps it was related to promotions or other internal events?
So your challenge this week is to build out a calendar view that allows for the highlighting of the top 3 days/weeks/months in a given year. There’s always something nice and familiar about calendars – we are naturally accustomed to viewing them, and it can sometimes be easier to spot trends than if we were to just use a line chart.
- Dashboard size: 1600 x 1300 (# of sheets is up to you!)
- Create a calendar visualization that does the following
- Shows all dates within data
- For dates without data, they should show up as gray circles
- For dates with data, they should have the date in the middle and a darker gray circle outline
- Create functionality to highlight
- Top 3 days
- Top 3 weeks
- Top 3 months
- When highlighted, the dates will be yellow; dates with no data will still be gray
- Add functionality to allow the user to switch between 2017, 2018, or 2019
- Match any other formatting and tooltips
- The title is dynamic
- Tooltips are easy this week!
This week uses the Superstore Data Set from 2019.3 (it goes through the end of 2019)
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WorkoutWednesday2019 in your description to make it searchable!
Keep an eye out for the solution video – that will be ready over the weekend!