This week’s Workout Wednesday is an emoji map. The original idea comes from a Dark Sky emoji map of the weather.
This worksheet has several major elements you’ll have to work through:
- Data modeling
- Hex bins of geospatial data
- Working with emojis
- Customized “legend”
- Dashboard size: 600 x 600, 2 sheets (floating and tiled)
- Map latitude and longitude at the city level. Round the values to the nearest two degrees. Then then use hexbins – you’ll need this supplemental data set.
- Emojis are broken into top/middle/bottom 3rd percentiles for both total profit and total sales. Break out the percentiles by each mark on the hexmap.
- Show all emojis in “legend”.
- Match the cat emoji values in the “legend”.
- Match formatting on the map.
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WorkoutWednesday and tag @AnnUJackson, @LukeStanke, and @RodyZakovich. (Tag @VizWizBI too – he would REALLY love to see your work!)
Also, don’t forget to track your progress using this Workout Wednesday form.
- Join the two data sources at the state and city level.
- HEXBINX() and HEXBINY() will be used.
- HEXBINX([lat]/2, [lng]/2)*2 rounds by 2s.
- Group into 1/3s: INT(LEFT(STR(PERCENTILE_RANK(SUM([???]))*3), 1))
- FORMAT YOUR MAP!!! REMOVE BORDERS!!!