How much information have you retained from Tableau Conference 2019? Are you still watching session videos (like I am?). This challenge is an homage to the amazing conference from this year.
The challenge comes from something I encountered in a recent work situation. The end-user wanted to be able to automatically group together small contributing members of a dimension – based on their input. To add complexity (and truly make it a workout), I’ve gone ahead and added on some additional visual cues and elements to make the bar chart a little more customized.
- Dashboard 1100 x 900 – 1 sheet
- Create a bar chart that dynamically combines States based on the percentage of total contributing Sales
- For states beneath the threshold, they should be combined into one bucket called “All Other States”
- This should be at the bottom of the bar chart
- The rest of the states that contribute more than the threshold should be displayed in descending order
- Tooltips for state names should be blue for the blue bars and gray for the “All Other States” bar
- Labels for bars should be sitting on top of the bar
- Construct a subtitle that shows the number of states in blue and the number in gray
- Match any remaining formatting
This week uses the Superstore Data Set from 2019.3 (it goes through the end of 2019)
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WorkoutWednesday2019 in your description to make it searchable!
Keep an eye out for the solution video – that will be ready shortly!