How often do you think about scale? Making sure my dashboards scale over time is one of my top priorities whenever I start a new project, so this week’s Workout Wednesday is going to be focused on building a solution that will scale combined with standard KPI views. I’ve been asked to build KPI views many times in my career, and I’m always looking for ways to inject pieces of interactivity, while keeping the high level view in tact – this challenge should help you think of ways you can incorporate Workout Wednesday directly into your work.
- Format: 720x420px
- Create a summary view that can display the Category or Segment dimension on demand
- The summary value should represent the profit ratio for the most recent week/month/quarter in the data, depending on what your date parameter is set to
- The additional up/down number should represent the absolute percentage point change from the previous week/month/quarter
- Create a dynamic color legend for the Category or Segment dimension members, that highlights the dimension member your user is hovering over
- Create a line chart that displays the overall profit ratio for the last n weeks/months/quarters (as decided by the slider in the top right)
- The line chart should also support an additional line for the dimension member your user is hovering over
- Turn off all the tooltips – you’re welcome
- Where you are assuming black, use #181818 instead
- Where you are assuming white, use #e6e6e6 instead
- Match all other colors as close as you’d like
This week uses the superstore dataset for Tableau 2019.1. You can get it here at data.world
Track your progress
Also, don’t forget to track your progress using this Workout Wednesday form.
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration.