I came across an interesting challenge. When comparing data, Tableau automatically compares to the same date on the prior month/year etc. But what if you want to compare to the same DAY. For example, Tuesday 18th May 2021, would compare to Tuesday 19th May 2020 for the previous year, and Tuesday 20th April for the previous month. The reason you would want to do this is to compare the Tuesday to Tuesday.
This challenge also builds off of Andy’s DS Gym from last week, using Table Calculations.
- Dashboard Size: 500px by 600 px
- # of Sheets – 2
- Create BAN which compares the percent difference between the selected date and either Same Day Last Year, Same Day Last Month or Last Week
- You need to get the following values:
- Selected Date Sales
- Selected Comparison Sales
- Percentage Difference
- Selected Comparison Date
- Create a line chart by day, showing the selected and comparison value as line ends.
- Create an action to allow you to change the selected date via the line chart and a reset button back to 18/05/2021.
- NO LOD’S – TABLE CALCS ONLY!
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2021 in your description to make it searchable!