Natalia Miteva is responsible for this week’s Community Workout Wednesday Challenge. Here are all the details in Natalia’s own words:
Very excited to share my challenge as part of the Workout Wednesday community contribution month! This week’s workout is inspired by Ludovic Tavernier‘s Date Range Picker viz.
The aim of our challenge will be to create a mobile calendar selector which updates sales, profit and quantity. In addition, the user will be able to jump to a particular year and month from a pop-up container. Expect plenty of parameter actions!
- Dashboard size: 350px by 700px.
- Max 9 sheets.
- Join the Dates Table provided below to the Superstore Orders sheet to get a complete list of all dates in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
- Create a calendar picker sheet. The selected date range should update when users click (hint: use a parameter action). Colour the selected range.
- Create previous and next month arrows which change the month selection on click. Users should be able to select a date range over more than one month (e.g. 21st Sep 2019 – 3rd Oct 2020).
- Create year and month selections to allow for more user flexibility so they can jump from 2016 straight to 2019, for example. Include these in a pop-up container on top of the calendar picker sheet.
- Create a sheet displaying the selected date period.
- Create the metric overview sheets for sales, profit, and quantity: one with BANs and another with line charts displaying the performance over the selected period.
- Remove highlighting from the calendar picker, as well as the month and year selection sheets when the user clicks on different values.
- Ensure the dashboard size for phone layout is set to default.
- Match formatting and tooltips.
This week uses a Dates Table with a complete list of dates for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. This should be joined to the Superstore dataset for Tableau 2020.2. You can get both files here at data.world.
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2020 in your description to make it searchable!